Sunday, September 9, 2007

The Power of the "OFF" Button

i mentioned previously the painful amputation of the unlimited data plan for my Samsung i730 PDA Phone, as well as the new household rule of turning off stuff (mainly my computers) when they're not in use. The sudden lack of instant internet access anywhere, anytime has resulted in some strange side effects - most notably, peace of mind and a better focus during work.


David Allen in his "Getting Things Done" principles talks about how emptying the mind - mental "RAM", if you will - results in significantly less stress and better productivity. i never noticed how non-stop my mental engine had been running until i started setting up the new "off button" boundaries. Having computers on 24/7 keeps you constantly connected, constantly wondering about that next email, never able to completely "shut off" thoughts about work, communication, to-do's, projects, the list goes on and on. i never realized how glazed my focus had always been when my kids clamored for attention or my mother-in-law called me repeatedly to come down for dinner or my wife was mentioning things that happened to her at work. Instant, ubiquitous access to information in many ways made me a slave to the almighty connection; a data-addict if you will, never more than a few seconds away from checking emails or browsing my RSS feeds.


With the introduction of the "off" button has come the inclusion of a strange new word into my vocabulary: "NO."


"NO, i don't need to check for that next email."


"NO, all that paperwork can wait until later."


"NO, i don't need to waste three hours browsing and surfing - it's more fun playing 'Clue' with the kids."


I'm beginning to like this new life of computers that are "off" - and, boy, i never realized how loud the CPU fan gets at night!




Technorati : , , , , , , , ,





Hugh Sung
Hugh Sung
Hugh Sung
Hugh Sung
Hugh Sung
Hugh Sung




hugh sung
hugh sung
hugh sung
hugh sung
hugh sung
hugh sung

No comments: