Thursday, September 27, 2007

How Lovely Shines the Morning Star


For many years i've worked on setting psalms and hymn texts to new musical settings for congregational worship. All my arrangements have always been completely copyright-free with no recompense required whatsoever - these have been written with the simple hope that Churches today can find musical material that puts its primary emphasis on the richness of Biblical text and great doctrine in a way that everyday folk can approach. I'm not a composer, so i'm highly self-conscious about making any pretenses in trying to be one given my immense respect for those who have dedicated their artistic lives to honing that craft. Nevertheless, it's a thrill to share this rendition of one of my hymn settings by The Kings Chamber Orchestra, directed by cellist extraordinaire Gerard Le Feuvre! This track will be part of a new album by the orchestra to be released in about 2 months' time. For this recording and similar, seek out the Kings Chamber Orchestra at www.kingschamberorchestra.co.uk.

The almost-17th century text by Philipp Nicolai is as follows:
How Lovely Shines the Morning Star Text by Philipp Nicolai, 1599 Music by Hugh Sung 1. How love-ly shines the Morn-ing Star! The na-tions see and hail a-far The light in Ju-dah shi-ning Thou, Da-vid's Son of Ja-cob's race, My Bride-groom and my King of Grace, For Thee my heart is pin-ing. Low-ly, Ho-ly, Great and glo-rious, Thou vic-tor-ious Prince of grac-es, Fill-ing all the heav'n-ly plac-es. 2. Now rich-ly to my wait-ing heart, O Thou, my God, deign to im-part The grace of love un-dy-ing. In Thy blest bod-y let me be, E'en as the branch is in the tree, Thy life my life sup-ply-ing. Sigh-ing, cry-ing, For the sav-or Of Thy fav-or; Rest-ing nev-er Till I rest in Thee for-ev-er. 3. Thou, might-y Fa-ther, in Thy Son Didst love me ere Thou hadst be-gun This an-cient world's foun-da-tion. Thy Son hath made a friend of me, And when in spi-rit Him I see, I joy in tri-bu-la-tion. What bliss is this! He that liv-eth To me giv-eth Life for-ev-er; Noth-ing me from Him can sev-er.

If you'd like to have a free copy of the PDF with the piano score and lead sheet, please visit http://ccpc-pca.com/303500.php for a list of all my worship song arrangements. You can also download it directly from this link. For a list of my psalm arrangements, please visit http://ccpc-pca.com/303100.php.



Technorati : , , , , , , , ,
Del.icio.us : , , , , , , , ,
Ice Rocket : , , , , , , , ,
Flickr : , , , , , , , ,
Zooomr : , , , , , , , ,
Buzznet : , , , , , , , ,
Riya : , , , , , , , ,
43 Things : , , , , , , , ,

No comments: